Saturday, February 7, 2009

Comet Lulin success

Thanks for opening up Powell to get a better look see at Comet Lulin.
(I did see it in the morning next to the double star)
That was fun.
Many thanks for meeting me down there . Jay Manifold, Mitch, David Young and I got up early in the balmy weather to meet at Powell. The after full moon did not bother us and the clouds stayed away for good observing.
Comet Lulin was visible in the big scope with its faint green coma and a tiny discernable nucleus. I did not see the small tail even with the filter. We also looked and it with the big binoculars. We could see how much is moved within the 1.5 hours we were there.
We also saw 3 bright satellites too , (not the ISS) .
Also a nice look at Saturn with the rings edge on.
I took some pictures through my canon and though the scope. While I can see some stars on the digital photo I don't see any comet - I am still trying to doctor it.
That's a good ideas for an outreach to see the comet (it will brightest on 24th- we shall see how bright it gets).

Eric Flescher

No comments: